How It All Began



“As well as a flourishing library, the school by 1909 had a wood collection containing specimens of nearly all of Pennsylvania’s native trees and large shrubs. For each species, cross sections and radial and tangential sections had been prepared to show the gross appearance of the wood. The next step was the preservation of samples in alcohol and glycerin so that sections suitable for microscopic examination could be cut. These latter sections were to be especially useful in the study of timber physics (wood technology)." E.H. Thomas, “A History of the Pennsylvania State Forestry School, 1903 – 1929.” p. 67

Monday, April 10, 2017

An Update on Validation of Accepted Names

I've finished going through and finding all the Accepted Names of the species I've entered into the database. The results are in the tally description on the right.

An interesting note was that on my first pass using ThePlantList.org, I had 110 "unresolved" species names. The Plant List Version 1.1 is current as of September 2013. I then thought to check these 110 against a few other sites that I had not been using, and found that the site "CatalogueofLife.org" was current as of March, 2017. Searching these unresolved names on Catalogue of Life changed about 80 of them to "Accepted" names, about half of which were the same as the unresolved names, and the other half were different.

We live in a wonderful time when we can reconcile our areas of research across several online resources, and get a good sense of just how valid our determinations are.

Another note of interest to those of you who may be interested. I've posted a link called "Database" there in the right-hand column that will give you access to the most current version of the Penn State Xylarium worksheet. So you can see what I've entered into the database and keep up with my progress. Hopefully, I'll finish the data entry sometime this year...only about 8,000 to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment